• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

**please help asap** subpoena question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hi I sent a subpoena to the Department of Family and Children Services for a copy of my ex's Medicaid application, supporting docs, and amount of benefits received. I received a response that the office is prohibited by state law from providing the information requested. OCGA 49-4-150

What are my options? Can a judge change this? If so, how do I get it approved?

Thanks.:eek:

She is claiming we were married, but we weren't. She put single on this application (because she was single). I'm not claiming it was fraud. However, I just need proof that she was representing herself as single.

She says we repesented ourselves as married to the public. I'm saying that we didn't. This application shows that she represented herself as single. Can I file a motion to compel compliance with subpoena duces tecum?

Yes years ago. See GA did away with common law marriage in 1997. She claimed we "married" by common law in 1994. She filled out this medicaid app in 1996, saying right before they did away with common law that she was single. I'm trying to prove that she represented herself as single because she is saying we represented ourselves as married. I need something showing she said otherwise.

:confused:In proving that she represented herself as single, I'm hoping to help to prove that no common law marriage existed. I did not marry this woman, did not proclaim to be married and never intended to marry her. Now she wants a divorce, and it makes no sense. I'm just trying to gather my evidence that no marriage existed.

These medicaid apps are important pieces of evidence. I'm just trying to figure out the next step after they object. I think it's a motion to compel compliance with subpoena duces tecum to the DFCS office. Does anyone know if that's the proper next step?

mistoffolees

:confused:In proving that she represented herself as single, I'm hoping to help to prove that no common law marriage existed. I did not marry this woman, did not proclaim to be married and never intended to marry her. Now she wants a divorce, and it makes no sense. I'm just trying to gather my evidence that no marriage existed.

These medicaid apps are important pieces of evidence. I'm just trying to figure out the next step after they object. I think it's a motion to compel compliance with subpoena duces tecum to the DFCS office. Does anyone know if that's the proper next step?
You already got your answer. Why do you keep starting new threads with the same question.

Your biggest problem is that you stated that you filed taxes as married. Even if you do manage to prove that the marriage did not exist, please start a new thread telling us how much you like spending time in jail for tax fraud.

No problem. I didn't know I shouldn't start a new thread. Anyhow yes earlier I asked about getting the application. Then I learned I should send the Subpoena Duces Tecum. Now it's been objected to because of some law regulating the release of such information. Now I need to know what the next step is to continue to try and get the documents.

Thanks.

No I haven't gotten an answer on how to continue to request the docs. Like I said I think it's the motion to compel, but since it's dealing with Medicaid info, I wasn't sure if there was another motion.

The tax fraud is a separate issue. If that does arise, I will handle that, but at this time, I need to help to build my case that we weren't married. So I know you disagree with that, but I just need help to figure out the next step in how to get the docs.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">