• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PLEASE help, cant end this divorce...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

to10dbar

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? RI
I have a legal situation that I need an answer to. I was granted a divorce in June 2004 in court. There is of course the 90 day waiting period before it can be finalized. We both agreed to all the terms and the judge issued his ruling, etc. Here's my bind. I owe my divorce atty money, but have been out of work for almost a year and am getting ready to declare bankrupcy, including the bill from my atty ( which I truly did not intend to do, but have no choice). However, my atty refused to file my final divorce decree with the court until I pay him. Is there any recourse for me in this situation? If I file now, will he be forced to file? It's driving me nuts, because as far as the world is concerned, we are still married...........PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME??????????????????

4ARMADILLOS

Re; To10

CA;
wRITE A LETTER TO YOU ATTORNEY STATING YOU ARE LETTING HIM GO-FIRING- AND WILL NEED COPIES OF YOUR FILE , BY JAN1, 05. BY LAW THE FILE IS YOURS. THEN JUST FILE THE DIVORCE DECREE YOURSELF. IN THE SAME LETTER STATE TO HIM YOU WILL BE MAKING SOME PAYMENT ARRANGMENTS SOON. A

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Dude - turn off the Caps. It's poor Netiquette and comes off as shouting.

In the meantime, the lawyer is well within his rights to hang on to the files until his fee is paid. Just like a private school or university can hang on to transcripts until the bill's paid, a lawyer can hold on to the file - AND not do any further work - as long as he's owed money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">