• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help, time-sensitive question...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blue_eyes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello, I need to get an annulment. I understand that divorce is usually "easier and cheaper" as many people have said. But it is important for me to have it annulled. How do I find a lawyer who will actually do this for me? So far I've gotten responses not based on the facts of the case at all, but just blanket statements like "nobody gets annulled anymore" or "it's easier to get a divorce". I am willing to pay the added expense, I just need to get it done.

Thank you in advance for any information.

Proserpina

Hello, I need to get an annulment. I understand that divorce is usually "easier and cheaper" as many people have said. But it is important for me to have it annulled. How do I find a lawyer who will actually do this for me? So far I've gotten responses not based on the facts of the case at all, but just blanket statements like "nobody gets annulled anymore" or "it's easier to get a divorce". I am willing to pay the added expense, I just need to get it done.

If you could give the reasons why you believe you qualify for annulment, it may help us help you :)

blue_eyes

On the basis that it was only a year and a half, not consummated, and he withheld that he cannot have children even though I have always talked about wanting to have children, a big family, etc.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Start interviewing lawyers until you find one who'll take your case.

What makes this so "time sensitive"?

blue_eyes

That's strange, then why are there a multitude of Michigan lawyer's web sites stating the case for annulment can be based on:

"Concealed intent of your spouse to never have sexual intercourse.
Inability to have children, found out after marriage, if case brought within 2 years."

or...

"or any type of fraud that goes to the heart of the marriage."

Those are just a couple of the pages I've seen with that phrasing, there are many.

mistoffolees

That's strange, then why are there a multitude of Michigan lawyer's web sites stating the case for annulment can be based on:

Inability to have children, found out after marriage, if case brought within 2 years."

or...

Those are just a couple of the pages I've seen with that phrasing, there are many.
Maybe you should cite the appropriate law.

Furthermore, even if you had grounds at one point, if you lived together after finding out about the alleged fraud, you lose the right to get an annulment:
Michigan Annulment and Prohibited Marriage Laws - MI Annulment and Prohibited Marriage Laws - State Laws, Codes

Once again, why is it so important to get an annulment? And why is it time sensitive? And if it really is time sensitive, why are you messing around with annulment rather than divorce which will be faster? And if it's time sensitive, why are you posting here rather than seeing an attorney and filing?

Silverplum

or...

We can't imagine why attorneys write things on their webpages.

The law is the law. Read MI codes:
552.3 Marriage of doubtful validity; procedure to annul.
552.12 Suit; conduct, power of court.
552.14 Action for annulment, divorce, or separate maintenance; entering personal protection order.
552.36 Marriage annulment; action by party to marriage.
552.39 Marriage annulment; ground of physical incapacity; party to maintain; time limitation of suit.

blue_eyes

Thank you for your responses. After reading through the links which Silverplum provided, the law states the same things the attorney sites mention, regarding it being based on fraud or physical incapacity if brought within 2 years. The reason for it being time-sensitive is a personal matter. And the reason I am reaching out to people with legal knowledge on this site is because as I mentioned in my original post, the first couple of knee-jerk responses I got from lawyers was "nobody gets annulled anymore". I have put in a few more calls to others.

Proserpina

Thank you for your responses. After reading through the links which Silverplum provided, the law states the same things the attorney sites mention, regarding it being based on fraud or physical incapacity if brought within 2 years. The reason for it being time-sensitive is a personal matter. And the reason I am reaching out to people with legal knowledge on this site is because as I mentioned in my original post, the first couple of knee-jerk responses I got from lawyers was "nobody gets annulled anymore". I have put in a few more calls to others.

A divorce would be faster....

TinkerBelleLuvr

It would depend on which county you are in. I know that if there are no children, the least amount of time it takes to divorce is two months. It also depends on if either party contests it.

blue_eyes

Thank you TinkerBelleLuvr, but as I mentioned I need to go the route of an annulment, not a divorce. Does anyone know approximately how much time those take? It is not contested and there are obviously no children since that is the cause of the issue.

mistoffolees

Thank you TinkerBelleLuvr, but as I mentioned I need to go the route of an annulment, not a divorce.
You won't explain why you need an annulment, so it's impossible to give you any more advice than you've already gotten:

1. Divorce is usually quicker and easier
2. It's unlikely that you are eligible for an annulment, anyway. First, desire not to have children usually doesn't meet the standard of fraud. Second, you've chosen to continue to live with him after finding out about that which eliminates your right to use that as grounds. (Finally, if over 2 years has passed, it's imposible, anyway.)

You've got all the advice anyone can give you. If you're in such an all-fired hurry, go hire that attorney who tells you that not wanting kids is grounds for annulment and get your annulment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">