• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pls HELP! need case law: violence incident, alimony retracted?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GNEF

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am in desperate need of finding a 'case law' so that the "payer - husband" does not have to pay alimony b/c of a previous (extreme violence) incident that the wife committed.

The wife & husband has agreed on the settlement. But the judge feels the wife is getting the short end of the stick and wants husband to pay alimony as well. Which is true, wife is getting less $ (20+ year marriage). BUT the wife did commit a violent crime against the husband (prosecuted/guilty) - which is why she accepted no alimony. But the judge won't accept the 'no alimony' part.

thank you in advance.

LdiJ

GNEF said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

I am in desperate need of finding a 'case law' so that the "payer - husband" does not have to pay alimony b/c of a previous (extreme violence) incident that the wife committed.

The wife & husband has agreed on the settlement. But the judge feels the wife is getting the short end of the stick and wants husband to pay alimony as well. Which is true, wife is getting less $ (20+ year marriage). BUT the wife did commit a violent crime against the husband (prosecuted/guilty) - which is why she accepted no alimony. But the judge won't accept the 'no alimony' part.

thank you in advance.
If she convicted of a crime of extreme violence against you why isn't she in jail? There are several online sources for case law..westlaw.com, loislaw.com, versuslaw.com, findlaw.com

Most of them require a fee but some of them offer free trial memberships.

Your state government website is also a good source for case law as well.

It may be tough to find such a case.

GNEF

LDIJ - thanks

Yes, I have been searching & searching but it's been difficult to find.
I have looked in findlaw.com & westlaw.com.

But maybe my search words aren't right?
I have been typing in different variations of:
"alimony, assault, reduce, payment, etc"Any other suggestions?

She was in jail. This divorce has lasted way too long - 5+yrs. I do not hate her, but she doesn't deserve my alimony.

thanks.

LdiJ

GNEF said:
Yes, I have been searching & searching but it's been difficult to find.
I have looked in findlaw.com & westlaw.com.

But maybe my search words aren't right?
I have been typing in different variations of:
"alimony, assault, reduce, payment, etc"Any other suggestions?

She was in jail. This divorce has lasted way too long - 5+yrs. I do not hate her, but she doesn't deserve my alimony.

thanks.
Honestly, I would probably just use "alimony" as the keyword and read as much case law as possible on alimony. (for your state) You don't know what might be out there that is useful for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">