• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible to get my fees paid by my husband?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

g33k

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I'm getting divorced and originally we had talked and it was just going to be simple: he takes his things, I take my things, we file and we're done (he said he would pay for the court costs since he makes more money than I do). However, now I've had to hire a lawyer because he's trying to make me pay all his attorney costs and doesn't even have the date of our marriage correct on the papers.

Can I ask for him to reimburse my attorney fees in the paperwork? Neither one of us should have even had to hire an attorney, we have no children and no property. My attorney is costs $750 as a base to even start with divorces. Is it very possible that the judge would make him pay my attorney fees?

Content

g33k said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

I'm getting divorced and originally we had talked and it was just going to be simple: he takes his things, I take my things, we file and we're done (he said he would pay for the court costs since he makes more money than I do). However, now I've had to hire a lawyer because he's trying to make me pay all his attorney costs and doesn't even have the date of our marriage correct on the papers.

Can I ask for him to reimburse my attorney fees in the paperwork? Neither one of us should have even had to hire an attorney, we have no children and no property. My attorney is costs $750 as a base to even start with divorces. Is it very possible that the judge would make him pay my attorney fees?
You can always ask for him to do that but whether the judge will order it depends on different factors. You should have an attorney anyways to make sure your best interest are looked out for, so you would have probably needed an attorney anyways, so just because he has a lawyer isn't a good enough reason.

g33k

Content said:
You can always ask for him to do that but whether the judge will order it depends on different factors. You should have an attorney anyways to make sure your best interest are looked out for, so you would have probably needed an attorney anyways, so just because he has a lawyer isn't a good enough reason.
We're filing no-fault divorce, but the actual reason we're getting divorced is because he couldn't seem to realize marriage meant you only had one woman to mess around with.

Will our incomes have any bearing on it? He gets paid twice a month with an average paycheck of $1200 each time. I get paid every two weeks, my average paycheck is around $350-$400. (I'm still in college and work part time, he graduated last year.)

Content

g33k said:
We're filing no-fault divorce, but the actual reason we're getting divorced is because he couldn't seem to realize marriage meant you only had one woman to mess around with.

Will our incomes have any bearing on it? He gets paid twice a month with an average paycheck of $1200 each time. I get paid every two weeks, my average paycheck is around $350-$400. (I'm still in college and work part time, he graduated last year.)

Incomes may or may not come into play. But honestly having a lawyer look out for you is really better. It helps make sure your not getting screwed in the process. And your choice to work part time is just that your choice, he is working full time I assume which is why he makes that much.

g33k

I have hired an attorney and meet with her next week. I don't really know what to expect since I've never been in a situation where I needed a lawyer before.

What does play a part in what is awarded? Either with court costs or if I request allimony?

Content

g33k said:
I have hired an attorney and meet with her next week. I don't really know what to expect since I've never been in a situation where I needed a lawyer before.

What does play a part in what is awarded? Either with court costs or if I request allimony?

Part of what happens depends on your lawyer, and his lawyer. A lot of times the better lawyer wins while the weaker lawyer walks away with a lot of money in their pocket and a pissed off client. Talk to your lawyer and see what they say about your chances of getting what you want. If they say that chances are very slim then you need to decide if it's worth the money to you to try to get him to cover it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">