• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible options and if my state should care about my divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katherins

What is the name of your state - Maryland.

My husband and I married 2.5 years ago in Russia. We are both Russians but got our green cards so we have been living together in the US, MD for a bit more than 2 years. I am a student and I have a student job. He pays for my tuition and basically pays for rent. He has never physically abused me, but he does it verbally every day.
My questions are:
1) I want to file for a divorce but I don't know if I will afford it. Who will pay for the expenses?
2) According to MD law, we should not live together for 1 year to divorce. Should I pay for place to stay? ( We just singned lease in our apartment for 1 year) Should I live the apartment?
3) Will I get any support from my husband?
4) Does it really matter that we got married in Russia? Should Maryland solv eour problems?
5) One time I wanted to call the police while he was screaming at me, but I though that he would deny evreything. Does it worth calling the police if I am scared him?

Thank you.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state - Maryland.

My husband and I married 2.5 years ago in Russia. We are both Russians but got our green cards so we have been living together in the US, MD for a bit more than 2 years. I am a student and I have a student job. He pays for my tuition and basically pays for rent. He has never physically abused me, but he does it verbally every day.
My questions are:
1) I want to file for a divorce but I don't know if I will afford it. Who will pay for the expenses?
2) According to MD law, we should not live together for 1 year to divorce. Should I pay for place to stay? ( We just singned lease in our apartment for 1 year) Should I live the apartment?
3) Will I get any support from my husband?
4) Does it really matter that we got married in Russia? Should Maryland solv eour problems?
5) One time I wanted to call the police while he was screaming at me, but I though that he would deny evreything. Does it worth calling the police if I am scared him?

Thank you.
1. The two of you will have to pay for it. Each of you pays for your own attorney. If he makes much more than you, you can ask the court to have him pay some or all of your legal expenses, but don't count on it. If you really don't have any money, you could see if you could find an attorney to take it free or see if your school offers legal aid for students.

2. One of you should move out. It really doesn't matter who. Whoever keeps the apartment needs to pay for it - you may want to get a roommate.

3. Long term, nope. You might get a little while the divorce is pending, but it depends on your relative incomes.

4. It doesn't matter where you got married.

5. If he's screaming at you, leave. If he's threatening you to the point where you fear for your safety, then call the police. I'm not sure the police are going to be very happy coming to your house simply because he's yelling at you.

Katherins

Thank you for the reply.

Is it possible (or is it a good idea at all) to solve the problem without an attorney? Also, does it matter who files divorce documents first?

mistoffolees

Thank you for the reply.

Is it possible (or is it a good idea at all) to solve the problem without an attorney? Also, does it matter who files divorce documents first?
It is always possible. Whether it is a good idea is a different story - particularly with immigration issues.

It won't matter who files first. If there were children or a lot of assets, there is a difference of opinion and some people argue that there's a small advantage to filing first, but in your case, it doesn't apply.

Katherins

If tomorrow we decide to separate, I should move out ( because I cannot afford our current apartment). How would I prove that we started living separate?
As I understand, we should divide our property. We don't have much, only a car purchased during marriage, which is, I think, on his name. Can I still use the car to get to school?
Should the court decide who gets what?

Thank you very much.

mistoffolees

If tomorrow we decide to separate, I should move out ( because I cannot afford our current apartment). How would I prove that we started living separate?
As I understand, we should divide our property. We don't have much, only a car purchased during marriage, which is, I think, on his name. Can I still use the car to get to school?
Should the court decide who gets what?

Thank you very much.
The court will decide who gets what when you file for divorce. Until then, the best thing is if the two of you can amicably agree on something.

To prove that you're living elsewhere, change the address on your driver's license ASAP. Save copies of the utilities bills from your new address. However, the rent agreement at the new address MIGHT be enough on its own.

None of that will likely matter. After a year, one of you will file for divorce claiming that you've been living separately for a year. Unless the other person challenges it, it will probably go through without the court investigating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">