• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possibly to stop a spouse trying to sell property to avoid sharing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pooldaydreamer

What is the name of your state (DC)?

Hi, I am posting this question for a friend of mine. It looks like her husband has a divorse in mind. Before filing though he has undertook a large scale effort to make sure non of the property is to be devided between them. They have been married for more than 10 years. He's purchase a condo before their marriage that they have commonly been paying during these years. Few years ago he purchased a house in a mid-western state where he has wanted them to live together. There he rented that house to school-girls and went ahead and impregnated one of them. He does not indicate any intent to do anything about that situation, moreso the girl has actually returned to her home country. This may or may not be relevant, but I am putting it here only if this fact would matter in front of a judge. So for the last months, nearly a year, her husband is trying to make her sign all kinds of documents to make her quit any rights she may have over any of their (his) real estate properties. Now he is trying to sell their condo in DC and sais he has a buyer. She does not want him to sell the condo and he knows that. So he's pressing her with saying that he has a buyer and if she signs a document she quits any future claims he'll let her live in that condo (what she indeed wants to do). She currently rents an appartment where he lives as well for free, while receiving rental money for the condo in question. My friend is a foreigner that is not excercising her rights as she should be.

So the question is if she can stop any efforts of his to sell any of the real estate property, so there would be an equittable distribution in time of divorse? Shall she rush to file immediately? They still live together in that rental apartment of hers.....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Tayla

Please have friend stop on forum here . From past post, you have plenty to contend with. Would hate for you to relay information to friend that may or may not be applicable given that all the facts may not have been conveyed.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (DC)?

Hi, I am posting this question for a friend of mine. It looks like her husband has a divorse in mind. Before filing though he has undertook a large scale effort to make sure non of the property is to be devided between them. They have been married for more than 10 years. He's purchase a condo before their marriage that they have commonly been paying during these years. Few years ago he purchased a house in a mid-western state where he has wanted them to live together. There he rented that house to school-girls and went ahead and impregnated one of them. He does not indicate any intent to do anything about that situation, moreso the girl has actually returned to her home country. This may or may not be relevant, but I am putting it here only if this fact would matter in front of a judge. So for the last months, nearly a year, her husband is trying to make her sign all kinds of documents to make her quit any rights she may have over any of their (his) real estate properties. Now he is trying to sell their condo in DC and sais he has a buyer. She does not want him to sell the condo and he knows that. So he's pressing her with saying that he has a buyer and if she signs a document she quits any future claims he'll let her live in that condo (what she indeed wants to do). She currently rents an appartment where he lives as well for free, while receiving rental money for the condo in question. My friend is a foreigner that is not excercising her rights as she should be.

So the question is if she can stop any efforts of his to sell any of the real estate property, so there would be an equittable distribution in time of divorse? Shall she rush to file immediately? They still live together in that rental apartment of hers.....What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The best advice that you can give your friend, is that she should not sign any document without having an attorney of her own review the document and agree that it is in her best interest to sign it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">