• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post divorce issue with car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wendy413

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

During the divorce, my husband and his ex-wife did not have a lawyer, so the dissolution agreement could have used some work. It is stated that my husband has to pay for an SUV that the ex-wife drove. The title and loan are in his name and have been left that way since the divorce. She cannot get a loan as she does not have any credit nor a job. She lives in PA and now needs to register the car. The dissolution agreement does not state that the ex-wife is to be the owner of the vehicle. So, how can she register the car or renew the tags? She sent a letter to my husband today stating that he needs to have the title sent to her notary. First of all, I understand that the company carrying the loan has the title and it will not be released until the debt is paid in full. There are three years of payments left on this vehicle, so it is out of the question for an early pay off. So, obviously we cannot send the title. Second, what good is sending the title to her notary? My husband is not transferring the title into her name until it is paid off anyways. He does not want her to sell the car, pocket the money and him keep paying for it. Until this is done, insurance is to be kept in my husband's name. He hates this because his ex-wife is in the habit of not paying the bills on time. My husband is also responsible for the vehicle if there were a hit and run for some reason. Is there anything he can to do help her get the tags renewed there and insurance in her own name?

seniorjudge

Q: Is there anything he can to do help her get the tags renewed there and insurance in her own name?

A: Yes; pay off the loan and give her the title. Meanwhile, he needs to make sure there is a huge insurance policy on the car.

Wendy413

Yes, the car is insured well. Is there any sort of paperwork an attorney could draw up so she could get the car tags and insurance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">