• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post-divorce problems.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theroots

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Hello, I have a couple questions and wasn't sure which section it belongs in.

First, my ex-wife signed me up to get emails from a company that I already get emails from. I get up to 15 emails a week from her and I've asked her to stop. I cannot block the emails, since they are coming from a company that I already get an email from and want to get in the future. I have contacted the company and they say that I need to contact my ex-wife to remove them, but she just ignores my requests. Is there something that I can do to stop the unwanted emails from her? Is this harassment and do I just need to call the police?

Lastly, I have an account with a company that I send money to each month. The account is in my name and the money is paid on my personal credit card. However, I recently learned that my ex-wife requested a statement from this company. I don't understand how she could have gotten that information, since the account was in my name and my address. They sent the information to her address as well. I have contacted the company, but they don't have the details of how it was requested. Isn't this an invasion of privacy or at least a problem with her falsifying her identity to get my information? Is there a law that was broken? What steps can I take to stop her from doing this?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

... First, my ex-wife signed me up to get emails from a company that I already get emails from. I get up to 15 emails a week from her and I've asked her to stop. I cannot block the emails, since they are coming from a company that I already get an email from and want to get in the future. I have contacted the company and they say that I need to contact my ex-wife to remove them, but she just ignores my requests. Is there something that I can do to stop the unwanted emails from her? Is this harassment and do I just need to call the police?
You can block the emails. Ditch your old email address and get a new one. Inform the company, and anyone who is not your ex-wife, of the new email address.

Lastly, I have an account with a company that I send money to each month. The account is in my name and the money is paid on my personal credit card. However, I recently learned that my ex-wife requested a statement from this company. I don't understand how she could have gotten that information, since the account was in my name and my address. They sent the information to her address as well. I have contacted the company, but they don't have the details of how it was requested. Isn't this an invasion of privacy or at least a problem with her falsifying her identity to get my information? Is there a law that was broken? What steps can I take to stop her from doing this?
It is impossible to say if it is invasion of privacy or falsification of information. You and the company do not know what your ex-wife did to access the information.

Request a change in your account. Do not let your ex-wife know of this change.

Your ex-wife has all of your identifying information from having been your wife. Because you cannot change your social security number or your mother's maiden name, you need to change accounts and account numbers and passwords, and add to your credit accounts and with the credit agencies a "fraud alert" advising that your identity may have been stolen and that you wish to be notified personally before allowing any accounts to be opened in your name and before allowing access to any of your accounts.

Have your attorney send a cease and desist letter to your ex-wife informing her that legal action is being considered and will be taken if she does not immediately stop whatever it is she is doing that you find objectionable. If she continues with her behavior, go over your options with your attorney.

theroots

More issues.

You can block the emails. Ditch your old email address and get a new one. Inform the company, and anyone who is not your ex-wife, of the new email address.

It is impossible to say if it is invasion of privacy or falsification of information. You and the company do not know what your ex-wife did to access the information.

Request a change in your account. Do not let your ex-wife know of this change.

Your ex-wife has all of your identifying information from having been your wife. Because you cannot change your social security number or your mother's maiden name, you need to change accounts and account numbers and passwords, and add to your credit accounts and with the credit agencies a "fraud alert" advising that your identity may have been stolen and that you wish to be notified personally before allowing any accounts to be opened in your name and before allowing access to any of your accounts.

Have your attorney send a cease and desist letter to your ex-wife informing her that legal action is being considered and will be taken if she does not immediately stop whatever it is she is doing that you find objectionable. If she continues with her behavior, go over your options with your attorney.
Thanks for your advice, but the email address she is using is my main email address. It would take months for me to change all of my accounts and contacts that have this email address.

I also learned today that she filed our 2015 taxes "married filing joint" using my electronic signature. How is this not forgery? I didn't see the forms or verify the figures before she filed them. Should I contact the IRS and file a complaint?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks for your advice, but the email address she is using is my main email address. It would take months for me to change all of my accounts and contacts that have this email address.
Easier to do than an actual name change. Just do it.

I also learned today that she filed our 2015 taxes "married filing joint" using my electronic signature. How is this not forgery? I didn't see the forms or verify the figures before she filed them. Should I contact the IRS and file a complaint?
Hopefully someone more knowledgable will address this. If you discovered this because you tried to efile, you could try filing the old fashioned way, by mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">