• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post-Divorce Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

supermom07

What is the name of your state? Georgia
I have been divorced for two years. I was allowed to have temporary rights to the house we shared for two years. Long story short, I am about to refinance the property into my own name. My decree states that if I do that I need to pay my ex 1/2 of the property's appraised value. I am thinking that this means that by refinancing, I am taking over his half of the mortgage and thereby by "paying" him 1/2 of the property's value by paying off his half of the mortgage. There is no equity in the property. Thanks for your help.

LdiJ

I have been divorced for two years. I was allowed to have temporary rights to the house we shared for two years. Long story short, I am about to refinance the property into my own name. My decree states that if I do that I need to pay my ex 1/2 of the property's appraised value. I am thinking that this means that by refinancing, I am taking over his half of the mortgage and thereby by "paying" him 1/2 of the property's value by paying off his half of the mortgage. There is no equity in the property. Thanks for your help.
I sincerely hope that your decree is NOT worded that way. Because if it is, you could have a serious problem.

Zephyr

recheck that specific wording with your order and update please

supermom07

The paragraph addressing the house ends by stating " If during that time Wife is able to refinance the home and remove Husband's name from the mortgage thereon, provided she pays him one-half of the appraised value of said home." There is no way that I can do that!

Zephyr

and you are positive it says appraised value rather than equity?

there's nothing anywhere about equity?

Silverplum

The paragraph addressing the house ends by stating " If during that time Wife is able to refinance the home and remove Husband's name from the mortgage thereon, provided she pays him one-half of the appraised value of said home." There is no way that I can do that!
Well, that's the agreement you signed. But hey, at least you got the house!

tranquility

If you relieve a person of a liability, aren't you paying them the amount of liability relieved?

Assets = Liabilities + Owner's equity

supermom07

No, there is nothing about equity mentioned. Although by reading the sentence out loud, it does seem like it is unfinished.

supermom07

Yes, I have an attorney and have been calling the law office all afternoon. I could put the house up for sale (again) but the remaining mortgage is higher than the value of the property and the real estate market has tanked here in GA. I can only hope to sell, or have the decree ammended or possibly get my Ex to agree to the refinance. I think he would agree that I am doing him a favor by taking care of his half of this debt.

supermom07

Yes, it was prepared by one. But as far as the document, it is not too bad. I got everything I wanted, just didn't proofread this paragraph very well.

Silverplum

Yes, it was prepared by one. But as far as the document, it is not too bad. I got everything I wanted, just didn't proofread this paragraph very well.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Personally? I'd go kick my attorney's ass for this horrible error, and then spit on him/her, then pour mustard on him/her, and then see if I could file something with the local bar association.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">