• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post nup agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Liz T

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I know I am supposed to post this under my old post, but I can't figure out how to do it.
My question is: If I stay married to my husband, he gets to keep my insurance and this is ok with me. Can we fill out some kind of paper the would mke me not responsible for him otherwise? Like, if he was hospitalized, would I have to pay the bills not covered by insurance? Or, if we were divorced now, he would not get very much from me, but later he might. Can that be avoided?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I know I am supposed to post this under my old post, but I can't figure out how to do it.
My question is: If I stay married to my husband, he gets to keep my insurance and this is ok with me. Can we fill out some kind of paper the would mke me not responsible for him otherwise? Like, if he was hospitalized, would I have to pay the bills not covered by insurance? Or, if we were divorced now, he would not get very much from me, but later he might. Can that be avoided?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
While I appreciate the fact that you would like to continue to provide him with insurance, that's generally not the world's best reason for staying married. Unless there is a compelling reason to stay married you should really go ahead with the divorce.

If you get a legal separation, that would separate you from his future debts, and would divide the property now.

Liz T

Would he be able to keep my insurance? also, if I died would he have any claim on anything? Can we do it ourselves?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A legal separation would divide everything and should enable him to remain on your insurance but you would still be married. Creditors would NOT be bound to that however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">