• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post Nuptial Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Want the Best

What is the name of your state? IL

I signed an agreement with my husband a few years back. A portion of it stated:

The Petitioner is assigned his sole and separate non-marital property free and clear of any claim by Respondent which he acquired prior to the marriage, or during the marriage, which was gifted to him by inheritance, including, without limitation the following.

It then goes on to list the 2 houses he had owned before our marriage and the business he had. During our marriage he bought another house and started another business. With the agreement stating GIFTED TO HIM BY INHERITANCE is this a loop hole to be able to go after part of the house and business acquired during our marriage? These were NOT gifted to him by inheritance. My name are not on them. We have one child together. Also, we were separated at the time he acquired the house and business, but not legally.

BelizeBreeze

Take the entire post-nuptial agreement to a family law attorney for review. We can't comment on a contract that we can't read.

Want the Best

So in other words this is not a free forum to try and receive advice. I am just asking an opinion. When it comes to it I will obviously have it reviewed by a lawyer. I thought this was an ADVICE FORUM...not a set in stone what anyone says forum.

BelizeBreeze

Want the Best said:
So in other words this is not a free forum to try and receive advice. I am just asking an opinion. When it comes to it I will obviously have it reviewed by a lawyer. I thought this was an ADVICE FORUM...not a set in stone what anyone says forum.
So, instead of wanting a valid legal opinion based on state statutes, case law and revelvant jurisprudence, you would rather hear something from anyone, even if it comes from a 13 year-0ld posing as an attorney on an invisible forum.

If that is the case, please visit your local bar, find the sloppiest drunk and get your advice for free. ANYONE with a legal education with the background to answer your questions with fact instead of conjecture, would be irresponsible in the least to offer an opinion on a contract they have not read.

But, if you insist, the stick around. You will get plenty of those. And they will all be wrong.

Want the Best

Well, I guess if I were a drunk I WOULD visit the local bar. However, I don't go to bars. I thought the point of giving your state was so people could give an opinion on the law in the state. The Forum should not be existing since technically everyone needs a lawyer in the end anyway. I thought this was for ADVICE.Advice that, I , in the end would have to be in judgement of and decide what way to head.....even if it were from a 13 year old posing as a lawyer.

Want the Best

I will. It gives me a little over a month to get mine in. Thanks for the information. I appreciate your caring so much. This forum has been a great help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">