• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Power of attorney for property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RockWater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

There is a warrant out for the arrest of my Ex-spouse for sexual molestation of a child. The house title is only in my ex-spouse's name, however, we have yet to settle on financially splitting the house (this was to be done amicably).

If my ex-spouse is no where to be found (and not making his/her-self available) to complete the split, what would be my next best option? Power of attorney?

I greatly appreciate any information you can provide.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

There is a warrant out for the arrest of my Ex-spouse for sexual molestation of a child. The house title is only in my ex-spouse's name, however, we have yet to settle on financially splitting the house (this was to be done amicably).

If my ex-spouse is no where to be found (and not making his/her-self available) to complete the split, what would be my next best option? Power of attorney?

I greatly appreciate any information you can provide.
How do you plan to get a Power of Attorney if your ex is no where to be found? Can you say 'obstruction of justice' if you show up with a power of attorney while he's hiding from the law?

You're going to need an attorney. it is possible that the court will order the sale of the house and your stbx's share to go into an escrow account on his behalf, but it's definitely not a DIY project.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">