• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pre marital assetts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mmulas

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts
I'm getting married in 3 months, I own a home and
only my name is on the mortgage. She does not want to sign
a pre-nup. Do I have sole rights to the property in case of
a divorce, being only my name is on the mortgage?

C

cjmom

It is sad these days when people are getting married and preparing for their divorce at the same time.

A

ahutchGA

I agree

This is just my opinion, but why plan for a marriage if part of you isn't sure it's going to last?
It's like you're looking for a safety net or something.

kat1963

In general, she would be entitled to a portion of the equity of the home: the difference between the value at the time of marriage and value at the time of divorce. However, no one here is a mind reader or will be able to tell you exactly what will happen over the years with changes in state laws ect.....If you refinance, and it is put in her name too, then it will be considered a comingle of funds therefore she would probably be entitled to a portion of ALL the equity.
Hope this help you out some.
KAT

haiku

Yes, my husband owned a home in ma. in his name only, and it was considered marital property and she was entitled to half the sale of the home after a 2 year marriage.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">