• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pre-marital debt - responsibility of both?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arco

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OH

My spouse is currently filing divorce against me with no serious grounds other than "incompatibility." We just sold our primary residence and have just a few community debts --including a credit card debt of over $15K which includes a pre-marital debt from her end of over $6K. I believe that, since those $6K were non-marital (separate) debt, I should not be held responsible for them.

Question #1: Would I be able to be released from this pre-marital debt?

Question #2: If, during my employment years --and using a joint checking account-- I helped her pay other 2 pre-marital debts on her end of over $10K each, may I be entitled to receive back 1/2 of all those payments made? If not half, at least something?

Thank you so very much! Seeing my family being destroyed by an insensitive spouse is really devastating...

:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">