• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pre-marriage auto question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

divorcenow12-1

What is the name of your state? Texas currently; married in Washington

Background:

Filed for divorce but not finalized as yet.

I had a car (financed with an auto loan) prior to my marriage. My spouse has left but taken the car (which is still in my name). Spouse is not making the payments as he/she doesn't care about my credit rating (which is excellent).

I continue to make the monthly payments.

Question:

What are the pros/cons of continuing or discontinuing the monthly payments (besides the cash flow and credit impact)?

Thank you.

LdiJ

divorcenow12-1 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas currently; married in Washington

Background:

Filed for divorce but not finalized as yet.

I had a car (financed with an auto loan) prior to my marriage. My spouse has left but taken the car (which is still in my name). Spouse is not making the payments as he/she doesn't care about my credit rating (which is excellent).

I continue to make the monthly payments.

Question:

What are the pros/cons of continuing or discontinuing the monthly payments (besides the cash flow and credit impact)?

Thank you.
The issue of the car will be settled in the divorce. Its best to continue making the payments until then. Otherwise you destroy your own credit plus potentially damage a marital asset. If your spouse cannot refinance the car in his/her own name, then you should be able to get the judge to order that the car be returned to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">