• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pre-nup

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

riblet

What is the name of your state?NV
How long are pre-nups valid for( I heard 10 yrs...true?)...also my wife and had a legal seperation(noterized but never filed)about a year and a half to two years ago does that have any effect on the pre-nup.

Happy Trails

riblet said:
What is the name of your state?NV
How long are pre-nups valid for( I heard 10 yrs...true?)...also my wife and had a legal seperation(noterized but never filed)about a year and a half to two years ago does that have any effect on the pre-nup.
Nevada law states:

§ 123A.040 Formalities.
A premarital agreement must be in writing and signed by both parties. It is enforceable without consideration.

§ 123A.060 Effect of marriage.
A premarital agreement becomes effective upon marriage.

***Someone could try to prove it is not enforcible....

§ 123A.080 Enforcement: Generally.
1. A premarital agreement is not enforceable if the party against whom enforcement is sought proves that:

(a) That party did not execute the agreement voluntarily;

(b) The agreement was unconscionable when it was executed; or

(c) Before execution of the agreement, that party: (1) Was not provided a fair and reasonable disclosure of the property or financial obligations of the other party; (2) Did not voluntarily and expressly waive, in writing, any right to disclosure of the property or financial obligations of the other party beyond the disclosure provided; and (3) Did not have, or reasonably could not have had, an adequate knowledge of the property or financial obligations of the other party.

2. If a provision of a premarital agreement modifies or eliminates alimony or support or maintenance of a spouse, and that modification or elimination causes one party to the agreement to be eligible for support under a program of public assistance at the time of separation or marital dissolution, a court, notwithstanding the terms of the agreement, may require the other party to provide support to the extent necessary to avoid that eligibility.

3. An issue of unconscionability of a premarital agreement shall be decided by the court as a matter of law.

§ 123A.100 Limitation of actions.
Any statute of limitations applicable to an action asserting a claim for relief under a premarital agreement is tolled during the marriage of the parties to the agreement. However, equitable defenses limiting the time for enforcement, including laches and estoppel, are available to either party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">