• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-Separation question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ummonx

What is the name of your state? CT

Thank in advance for your advice. My wife informed me a while ago she wanted to "separate" not being the most realistic person in the world to her it means she gets to continue to live her hunky dory life, I move out and pay for everything.

The question is, During Separation. What am I typically required to pay for. Obviously keeping up the mortgage, utilities, pay debts, insurance etc etc.

What about Cable television or the internet?

Right now we pay almost everything on the CC and pay it off in full. I would assume I would have to give her spending money for groceries and such but how much?

I don't have to give her access to my credit do I? Could I just give her cash or something?

Thanks

nextwife

WHY do you presume any f that is true? LOTS more info is needed, such as how long you have been married? Whether she works. If not, how long since she left the workforce. If she does work, the respective difference in incomes.

Simply having a uterus does NOT mean we are automatically entitled to have our way paid for us. Women are just as capable as men of paying on our credit cards, paying our mortgages, etc. Being women does not make us simple idiots who can't do anything for ourselves and need a mommy, daddy or husband to do it all.

You do NOT have to move out unless a judge says you do. It's your home too!

Of course you want to keep up all your credit.

But please tell us more about the situation. Don't be a wuss. It's insulting to all women to presume that every female must be taken care of as if they are incapable. Let a judge decide if she's incapable.

Ummonx

sorry here is more information

Marriage 10 years 3 kids. I work she does not. total income about 129k/year

I figure I will end up paying 2200 in child support and another 2-3k in alimony CT I have heard is typically half the life of the marriage. Total expenses (less CC) are about 4500/month.

She has been out of the work force for about 6 years. She is capbable of working and plans to. My guess if she got a job she could make 30-60k a year

This question is more of a narrow scope. I know damn well the way she manages $$ she'll be broke in 6 months. I am more concerned on how much I would need to give her during the separation phase.

nextwife

The house, the real estate "belongs" to any and all parties legally vested with an "interest". That may mean the man alone, if it was purchased in full premaritally and marital funds were not co-mingled into it, OR it may mean the woman, if the same was true in recerse. Or if it was a gift or inheritance she received and kept as "seperate" property, it is HER house- regardless of whose "names" everyone has. It may also mean that third pareties carry an interest. Each property has it's own chain of title and a thorough search of the chain is required before any pronouncement of WHO has rights regarding the real estate can be made.

Conversely, the marital residence , regardless of whose name is on it, can become vested with a marital property interest if marital funds are used to pay for it or substantially improve it.

I won't bother responding to the rest of your legally irrelevant drivel.

He need not move out, nor she, unless a judge says so.

Last edited by a moderator:

fairisfair

I agree....It's sickening that Bali would encourage a "guy" that in all likelyhood beats his wife and kids....
I have every belief that Bali will change his mind, and remove his post. I am quite certain of it. It was a momentary faux pas, nothing more. Bali is not a bad guy, just still a little um. . . .sore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">