• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pregnancy during divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bebe309

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Ohio
I have been seperated from my husband for two years and we are finally going to our first hearing next week. Just found out I am pregnant from a man I have been dating for the last ten months. What will this do to regarding my divorce. I have been told that you cannot be granted a divoce while pregnant, is this true? Will see my attorney in a couple of days, she does not know yet. Anyone that can help please do.

dallas702

Geez, that's a first.

But there is that little presumption that the baby you'll have is going to be the legal child of your present husband. I doubt if he's going to be thrilled by that thought. You'd better get this over quick.

LdiJ

bebe309 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state?Ohio
I have been seperated from my husband for two years and we are finally going to our first hearing next week. Just found out I am pregnant from a man I have been dating for the last ten months. What will this do to regarding my divorce. I have been told that you cannot be granted a divoce while pregnant, is this true? Will see my attorney in a couple of days, she does not know yet. Anyone that can help please do.
I believe that's correct in Ohio...(your attorney will be able to confirm whether or not its true), but I am pretty sure that Ohio is the same as Indiana on that issue, and that a divorce can't be granted if the wife is pregnant. However, be up front with your attorney on this as there may be a way around it since you have been living apart for 2 years.

snostar

LdiJ said:
I believe that's correct in Ohio...(your attorney will be able to confirm whether or not its true), but I am pretty sure that Ohio is the same as Indiana on that issue, and that a divorce can't be granted if the wife is pregnant. However, be up front with your attorney on this as there may be a way around it since you have been living apart for 2 years.
I don't believe there is a statue specifically stating this, but am fairly certain you are correct in most instances.

OP, be sure to have your attorney look up the divorce of Nwabara and Hugley.

I found this excerpt in STATE ex rel. WILLACY v. SMITH:
"In July 1986, Chisara S. Nwabara ("Nwabara") married Walter L. Hugley, Jr. ("Hugley"). One child, Starr Chika Hugley, was born as issue of the marriage in January 1987. After October 1987, Nwabara and Hugley lived separate and apart. In December 1989, the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, Domestic Relations Division, entered a judgment granting Nwabara a divorce from Hugley. The domestic relations court expressly determined that at the time of the divorce decree, Nwabara was pregnant and that Hugley was not the father of the unborn child. The parties to the divorce action never appealed the foregoing finding."

Edit: It may mostly depend on whether or not your husband agrees the child is not his.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">