• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant After Divorce (TN)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SingleAgainInTN

Say you're going through a divorce in Tennessee and after it is finalized, the couple hooks up for some no-strings sex. Yes that's probably crazy - I don't need or want any lectures on how this is a bad idea. I'm not even to that point yet. But anyway, let's say that the ex-couple gets together for some fun and she turns up pregnant. Since they were married at some point, does he have any legal obligations to her? Is he legally free of any responsibility? Is there a custody battle or alimony battle that can ensue in court because of this?

I'm going through a divorce right now and the thought just crossed my mind. Please, only serious answers unless they're just damn funny. Then it's ok :)

TinkerBelleLuvr

The parents, whether they are married or not, are responsible for their wee-ones. :D:cool::eek::rolleyes::D That means child support/custody will need to be established, etc. No alimony though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Perhaps a better thing to think about is the reason you are DIVORCING in the first place! :rolleyes:

mommyof4

If you are thinking about having sex with this man and creating a child sometime in the distant future, what is it in your marriage that cannot just be worked out with a good counselor, lots of tears, patience and elbow grease?

Sorry, I know that wasn't a legal response, but I just couldn't help myself.

Gracie3787

... the couple hooks up for some no-strings sex.
I'm going to use one of seniorjudge's favorite sayings: "ain't no such critter".
Almost all sex has some strings attached, even if the "strings" don't get noticed until much later. Also, as a woman who divorced and did have sex with my ex, "for old times sake" I can tell you that sex after divorce definately does have strings attached.

penelope10

If you two are divorced then it's time to move on. Sex with an ex is never a good idea. (Didn't mean to rhyme---no pun intended):D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">