• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant? Do I have legal rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellow12

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

What happens if I'm pregnant by a man
who is separated (long divorce proceedings) still working out child support in court
has children already and doesn't want more
is jewish and his family/himself won't accept non jewish mother of child
(This is documented).
He has great income and job status....he wouldn't want this to spoil his image.

No this was absolutely NOT planned regardless what you might assume.
No we did not have seal relations while he was married.

I'm afraid to say I am pregnant for fear something will happen to me.

Is it better for me to walk and not say anything or do I have any legal rights? When is the best time to say anything - before his divorce is finalized? Or after child is born?
He will ask for an abortion. I do not want one.

Silverplum

who is separated (long divorce proceedings) still working out child support in court
(This is documented).

Is it better for me to walk and not say anything or do I have any legal rights? When is the best time to say anything - before his divorce is finalized? Or after child is born?
At this point, there is no legal matter for you to resolve or discuss.

Enjoy your pregnancy and take care of yourself. After birth, you can file for paternity establishment and child support.

Silverplum

Since you both lied and left without using your manners:rolleyes:, I'm going to go ahead and mock you for "seal relations."

:p:p:p:p:p

quincy

... No we did not have seal relations while he was married. ...
I don't visit this section of the forum very often, so maybe it is a common term used in these here parts, but I have to ask:

What are seal relations? :confused:

(and if this is just a typo, I still can't figure it out)

Silverplum

I don't visit this section of the forum very often, so maybe it is a common term used in these here parts, but I have to ask:

What are seal relations? :confused:

(and if this is just a typo, I still can't figure it out)
The term is missing an "xu" from the middle. ;):p

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

(This is documented).

Yes you did. Separated does not mean he's not married. :cool:

Last edited:

sandyclaus

(This is documented).

Nothing at all happens if you become pregnant, except that you become pregnant.

HE can't force you to do anything. HE has no say in whether or not you keep the child or have an abortion. HE has no legal right to tell you what you can or can't do, so what exactly do you fear might happen to you?

Until the child is born, there is nothing TO do. He cannot be forced to support you through the pregnancy, nor can he be forced to support a child that doesn't yet exist.

And as has been pointed out, you DID have sex with him while he was still married. Until his divorce becomes finalized, he IS still married. Separated simply means that he is no longer living with his wife, not that he no longer has one - YET.

I'm thinking that you need to get your priorities straight before this child is born. Are you more concerned with how this will look for this presumed father, or for the child itself? He will already have a black mark on his image for fathering a child out of wedlock, not to mention the fact that he did so while he was also still married. His family doesn't necessarily need to accept you or the child. That would be THEIR loss if that is their choice to discriminate against you for not being of the same faith.

If he has a good income and job status, that will only serve to give him a better ability to support the child once it's born. If the two of you choose not to continue your relationship beyond this point, at least that will ensure that he can be held legally responsible for supporting the child as it grows up.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

(This is documented).

A) He is still married. You are pregnant. Therefore you did have sexual relations unless he is not the biological father.
B) He is not legally the father until paternity is determined AFTER the birth.
C) YOu don't have to get an abortion but he owes you nothing until a court says so. AFTER THE BIRTH. Your child will come after his children from his marriage.
D) What are seal relations?
E) You apparently chose the wrong person to have an affair with.
F) Don't plan on a long term relationship with this man. Hopefully whatever you were getting from him, you can provide for yourself. Because don't expect him to continue committing adultery with you or continuing a relationship with you if you are pregnant. You were fun but not a long term relationship. Especially based upon the fact that you are not Jewish and he does not want more children AND will not accept a non-Jewish mother for his children. At least you gave him some loving.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Ok, admittedly there is often a bit too much condescension (spelling it correct helps), but on every single thread there is more than one person who gives valid legal advice...and most of the people that you deem as being condescending also give valid legal advice.

I think that the only valid criticism that can be made is that sometimes people forget that the people coming here have no clue what is valid under the law, have never dealt with these issues before, and are validly ignorant as to what they can and cannot do. We have all heard it so many times that it sometimes makes us jaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">