• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pro Se Divorce..... Does he sign?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Missouri
I posted this question once before and got no replies, so I am trying again. I want to do a pro se divorce with my husband of 6 years. We have been seperated for over 5 however. He lives in Arkansas and I live in Missouri. My question is: Do I type the papers up and mail them to him to sign, or do I just file and wait? I know where he lives so will that make it easier and faster? We had no kids or property. What are the steps I take? Thanks for any answers.

seniorjudge

Q: Do I type the papers up and mail them to him to sign, or do I just file and wait?

A: If he wants to sign them, then mail them to him. In no event do you file something and then just wait. You must actively pursue your case.

Q: I know where he lives so will that make it easier and faster?

A: Yes and you may have to get the Missouri judge to get an Arknsas judge to approve out of state service of process.

Q: We had no kids or property.

A: So neither one of y'all owned any real estate when you got married?

Q: What are the steps I take?

A: You are foolish to try to do an interstate divorce yourself. But here is a link if you want to try:

http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/states/mo/missouri.htm

Thank you for your replies. This is why I was asking. I wasnt sure how difficult it would be. He wants to sign. We both want the divorce.
I thought I could have someone serve him the papers. I wasnt sure if this was true.No neither one of us owned anything before we got married. He owned an automobile but it has since been totalled. Thanks again for the answers and the link.

seniorjudge said:
Q: Do I type the papers up and mail them to him to sign, or do I just file and wait?

A: If he wants to sign them, then mail them to him. In no event do you file something and then just wait. You must actively pursue your case.

Q: I know where he lives so will that make it easier and faster?

A: Yes and you may have to get the Missouri judge to get an Arknsas judge to approve out of state service of process.

Q: We had no kids or property.

A: So neither one of y'all owned any real estate when you got married?

Q: What are the steps I take?

A: You are foolish to try to do an interstate divorce yourself. But here is a link if you want to try:

http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/states/mo/missouri.htm

seniorjudge

He wants to sign. We both want the divorce. I thought I could have someone serve him the papers.

If both y'all sign, then why do you think you he would have to be served?

seniorjudge said:
He wants to sign. We both want the divorce. I thought I could have someone serve him the papers.

If both y'all sign, then why do you think you he would have to be served?
That's what I was asking, can we both sign it then file it? I thought maybe someone other than me had to give him the papers. I cant afford to hire a lawyer that is why I am asking. I have the papers completed and accurate I just wasnt sure of my next step. Thanks again for your help.

seniorjudge

Q: That's what I was asking, can we both sign it then file it?

A: Why didn't you say so! Sure...this is done millions of times a day in the USA.

seniorjudge said:
Q: That's what I was asking, can we both sign it then file it?

A: Why didn't you say so! Sure...this is done millions of times a day in the USA.
Thank you so much. Sorry I wasnt clear.

Want2Know4Me

I do not live in your state but our circumstances were similar. This may or may not apply. My ex and I lived apart in different states (OH & NY)for 4 years prior to my filing for divorce pro se. I filed the papers here in Ohio, the court mailed my ex the papers CMRRR. He received them but didn't respond within 30 days so I was then given a court date. I went to court, the papers were once again mailed to my ex, but this time he had 14 days to respond. He didn't respond and I was granted a divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">