• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mssvell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? La.
What is the amount of time you have to be separated from your spouse before you can file for a divorce?

Can I purchase a house in my name while I am still legally married to my spouse if I am deciding to separate from him?

Will I be liable for any payment on the house my husband purchased before we got married if we got a divorce?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? La.
What is the amount of time you have to be separated from your spouse before you can file for a divorce?
I don't know for Louisiana

Can I purchase a house in my name while I am still legally married to my spouse if I am deciding to separate from him?
That is honestly a bad idea. Its wiser not to purchase major assets until after a divorce is final.

Will I be liable for any payment on the house my husband purchased before we got married if we got a divorce?
If your name is not on the mortgage or deed, then no, you are not liable for any payment. However you may be entitled to a share in any equity in the home that accrued during the marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">