• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mssvell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
:confused: What is the amount of time you have to be separated from your spouse before you can file for a divorce?

Can I purchase a house in my name while I am still legally married to my spouse if I am deciding to separate from him?

Will I be liable for any payment on the house my husband purchased before we got married if we got a divorce?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

indian216

House

SOmething like that happen to me on house issue. My exhusband had a house before we got married. One was paid for one was not. Believe it or not I had to sign the house that was completely paid for over to him.. Reason being they said we were married and whatever was his was now mine as well. The other house was not paid for I had to sign the title over to him and stipulate in the divorce that he was responsible for payments my attorney also requested my name be taken off the loan, which he had to end up refinancing on his own in order to do that.

Proserpina

SOmething like that happen to me on house issue. My exhusband had a house before we got married. One was paid for one was not. Believe it or not I had to sign the house that was completely paid for over to him.. Reason being they said we were married and whatever was his was now mine as well. The other house was not paid for I had to sign the title over to him and stipulate in the divorce that he was responsible for payments my attorney also requested my name be taken off the loan, which he had to end up refinancing on his own in order to do that.
I know you're trying to help (which is commendable!), but this one isn't really helping OP, whose case may be 180 degrees different from yours - we gotta keep it relevant, y'know?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
:confused: What is the amount of time you have to be separated from your spouse before you can file for a divorce?

Can I purchase a house in my name while I am still legally married to my spouse if I am deciding to separate from him?

Will I be liable for any payment on the house my husband purchased before we got married if we got a divorce?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana
Why can't you WAIT until after the divorce is final? If you purchase the house with marital assets (income) then it is marital property.

mistoffolees

Why can't you WAIT until after the divorce is final? If you purchase the house with marital assets (income) then it is marital property.
Consider a lease with the option to buy. Technically, the option has value and COULD be a marital asset, but it would probably not have enough value to matter if you didn't put money up to buy the option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">