• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Procedural Question - Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ramonaspaskos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I can no longer afford my attorney so I am representing self. This happened about 6 weeks ago. I have written two letters to the sbxw's attorney and no response. Per some website reading for my county, my lawyer has gotten my case started amd we are at the point of doing a msa. Is this normal or is her lawyer perhaps stalling for some reason.

Ronin

Many attorneys, for some strange reason :rolleyes:, don't care much for pro se litigants, and only respond when they are absolutely required to.

Your ex's attorney may feel your letters are such that they do not warrant a response.

It is possible that at the time you discharged your attorney, the ball was in his court to make the next move, and your ex's attorney is now waiting for you to make it.

There could be any number of reasons why you may be at an impasse. But it appears that, at least for now, it will be up to you to review the status of your case and bone up on rules of procedure and find the right buttons to push to get a response out of this attorney.

ramonaspaskos

thanks. i eventually got a response but not what i wanted to hear. he said he would get back to me in 6 weeks with his response. i am assuming he is trying to drag this out to p*** me off. Can I do the same. Wait 6 weeks to respons etc? I did not see anywhere where we had a timeframe. We are currently discussing / negotiating how to divide property, spousal support etc.

mistoffolees

thanks. i eventually got a response but not what i wanted to hear. he said he would get back to me in 6 weeks with his response. i am assuming he is trying to drag this out to p*** me off. Can I do the same. Wait 6 weeks to respons etc? I did not see anywhere where we had a timeframe. We are currently discussing / negotiating how to divide property, spousal support etc.
If you think he's dragging it out too much, you can take your chances with a court hearing instead.

Of course, that will take a lot longer than 6 weeks.

I guess you could always tell him 6 weeks is too long and you'll give him 3 weeks for a response or you'll have the court decide. I'm not recommending that since it's likely to backfire, but it's one option.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">