• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Procedure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dequeendistress

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

This question pertains to Alabama law: My husband has filed a contempt complaint against the ex in AL, his attorney advised there is a court date in Bullock County in April, but that my husband does not need to go. I assume that this will be a plea date on the contempt for the ex, can anything else be brought up at this hearing.

Also my husband just received questions he must answer regarding the claims, is this a normal procedure?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

This question pertains to Alabama law: My husband has filed a contempt complaint against the ex in AL, his attorney advised there is a court date in Bullock County in April, but that my husband does not need to go. I assume that this will be a plea date on the contempt for the ex, can anything else be brought up at this hearing.

Also my husband just received questions he must answer regarding the claims, is this a normal procedure?
Questions as in discovery? Yes that is normal. And nothing else can be brought up unless a motion is filed and it is scheduled to be heard on that day.

dequeendistress

I do not see how the defendant would be able to have a "discovery" it is not a counter-complaint either, I do not remember exactly how it was worded but he filed the complaint AGAINST her for contempt of court (civil and criminal) on several items in the original divorce. The nature of the questions she filed back seemed frivolous, she is her own attorney as well---licensed in Alabama.

Bullock county has somewhat of a tainted reputation....so I was concerned that she may be able to bring up issues from the case, instead of just a plea date or maybe it is not a plea date, I don't even know what the court date regards....the attorney my husband is using just told him, that He did not need to go??!!

LdiJ

I do not see how the defendant would be able to have a "discovery" it is not a counter-complaint either, I do not remember exactly how it was worded but he filed the complaint AGAINST her for contempt of court (civil and criminal) on several items in the original divorce. The nature of the questions she filed back seemed frivolous, she is her own attorney as well---licensed in Alabama.

Bullock county has somewhat of a tainted reputation....so I was concerned that she may be able to bring up issues from the case, instead of just a plea date or maybe it is not a plea date, I don't even know what the court date regards....the attorney my husband is using just told him, that He did not need to go??!!
Discover is a very basic element of lall. Of course a defendent would be entitled to discovery.

Personally, I would show for every court date, even if my attorney said that it wasn't necessary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">