• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proceedes from selling my house.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bradsstephens

I will be selling my house and my exwife is on the mortgage. During the divorce i did a loan modification so i could afford to keep the home. At the time we had both planned to walk away from the house but since i was able to restructure, my ex was happy not having a forclosure on her credit. We wete upside down on the mortgage at the time of the restructuring. I have made all of the payments and upkeep by myself since (3.5 years). Now i am looking to sell now that the housing market has turned and i would make a profit. Am i required to split the proceeds with my ex even though she has made no investment nor has lived in the house since the remidification?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I will be selling my house and my exwife is on the mortgage. During the divorce i did a loan modification so i could afford to keep the home. At the time we had both planned to walk away from the house but since i was able to restructure, my ex was happy not having a forclosure on her credit. We wete upside down on the mortgage at the time of the restructuring. I have made all of the payments and upkeep by myself since (3.5 years). Now i am looking to sell now that the housing market has turned and i would make a profit. Am i required to split the proceeds with my ex even though she has made no investment nor has lived in the house since the remidification?
What US state?

Wasn't the house addressed in your divorce?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">