• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In process of being sued for debts by ex - and he is now dead

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bitrealbad

What is the name of your state?Washington
Creditors are having thier collection agency attornies start lawsuits against me for past debts created from a marriage that ended in divorce. Ex-husband verbally agreed to taking certain debts. Judge awarded the debts he asked for, plus added a specified amount of spousal support and money to be paid to me for diamonds the ex stoled from me. Ex-husband had not anything to me or the debts. I had my attorney do contempt of court. Ex only paid the fine of $600 to the court, nothing more. ***Problem***QUESTION****
Ex-husband is dead. Died 10-30-2004 from acute cocaine intoxication.
Can they come after me for the debts that were given to him?
***He had really bad credit. One of the credit cards (MBNA) was in my name and I had his as a user. He was the sole user of the card. He had told the judge he would take the financial responsibility and pay MBNA the debt. Never did. Never paid one dime on any of the debts. Now hes dead. Please give me some kind of input. ***I've been bit so bad, I'm too afraid to trust anyone anything for the rest of my life. waiting....

zippysgoddess

Yes, I am sorry, if your name was on them, or they were joint accounts, then you are responsible for them. Your divorce decree doesn't mean anything to the creditors, they can come after you for the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">