• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proof of residency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tpa05

What is the name of your state? Florida
Yup, I know. Simple question. What is the standard/typical form or document that is used to establish proof of residency? Again, I know that this is a pretty simple question but I've been goin' 110% here with tryin' to fill out the paperwork and have been talking to a lot of people who are scarin' the blank out of me. Most of these are horror stories that most have heard but others have experienced themselves including having the judge yell at them for not having the "zeroes" lined up on their financial affidavit. I could go on but I just want to make sure I've got everything in order.

Thanks

SHORTY LONG

Yup, I know. Simple question. What is the standard/typical form or document that is used to establish proof of residency? Again, I know that this is a pretty simple question but I've been goin' 110% here with tryin' to fill out the paperwork and have been talking to a lot of people who are scarin' the blank out of me. Most of these are horror stories that most have heard but others have experienced themselves including having the judge yell at them for not having the "zeroes" lined up on their financial affidavit. I could go on but I just want to make sure I've got everything in order.

Thanks
You posted in the WRONG Forum. Suggest you post your question in the
IMMIGRATION Forum.

CJane

Thanks
You're filing for divorce, and they're requiring proof of residency? I believe that you need to live in FL (and most other states) for 6+ months before you're considered a resident. So, I would imagine that a FL driver license issued more than 6 months ago would suffice, but so would (again, IMO) a FL lease signed more than 6 months ago, utility bills, etc.

However, are you SURE you have to 'prove' residency? I know that when my ex filed for divorce, he just stated that him and I were both residents of X county in MO and signed the papers.

tpa05

Not sure what you mean Shorty. I'm from New Jersey originally so perhaps you're right. Anyway, not unlike most states, there's a list of forms that need to be filed. One of these, (which is not a form per se) is something that shows that you've been a resident of Florida for more than 6 months. While there are a lot of documents and the like that can be used to show residency, my question is simply what do most people use? I looked around some more and, according to the "packet #8" instructions, a driver's license or voter ID that is issued more than 6 months ago will work just fine.

As I indicated earlier, I'm hearin' too many stories where problems have shown themselves over what most people might consider a minor error/problem. Just tryin' to do it right.

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

SHORTY LONG

Not sure what you mean Shorty. I'm from New Jersey originally so perhaps you're right. Anyway, not unlike most states, there's a list of forms that need to be filed. One of these, (which is not a form per se) is something that shows that you've been a resident of Florida for more than 6 months. While there are a lot of documents and the like that can be used to show residency, my question is simply what do most people use? I looked around some more and, according to the "packet #8" instructions, a driver's license or voter ID that is issued more than 6 months ago will work just fine.

As I indicated earlier, I'm hearin' too many stories where problems have shown themselves over what most people might consider a minor error/problem. Just tryin' to do it right.

Sorry tpa05. I am a bit embarrassed, for I thought your post was about Immigration,
and not Divorce etc. Again, my mistake, and I am sorry.

LdiJ

Sorry tpa05. I am a bit embarrassed, for I thought your post was about Immigration,
and not Divorce etc. Again, my mistake, and I am sorry.
The fact that it was posted in a divorce forum rather than in an immigration forum might have been a little bit of a clue.:) Just messing with you a little ;)

Gracie3787

There isn't any form for proof of residency. It's usually a non issue, unless the other party contests residency. In all cases that I've seen, you just fill out the forms, you do not have to make a copy of your DL or voter ID. As a matter of fact, making copies of those and filing them is actually discouraged since the file is a public record.

IF anyone has doubts, just show your ID. Do NOT allow it to be copied and placed in the file. In your situation, since you and wife agree on things I really don't see where there would be a problem anyway.

tpa05

Thanks for the heads up regarding putting a copy of my license on file. They've already got my Social Security number and I wondered as early as yesterday whether it was a good idea to add my DL in there as well.

Thanks!

SHORTY LONG

The fact that it was posted in a divorce forum rather than in an immigration forum might have been a little bit of a clue.:) Just messing with you a little ;)

LdiJ, thank you for your kindness, and not slamming me. LdiJ, respectfully,
may I add you to my friend list? It would be my honor to do so. Thank you. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">