• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proper steps in washington state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mommatiffy

I have a step father who is in the begining of a divorce and she has all the papers and he dosent have a copy of any of them, she thinks she dosent have to give him anything. Im just trying to help him out i dont want him to get screwed out of any of his parental rights. I thought he had to get served or something. Anything would help thank you.

LdiJ

I have a step father who is in the begining of a divorce and she has all the papers and he dosent have a copy of any of them, she thinks she dosent have to give him anything. Im just trying to help him out i dont want him to get screwed out of any of his parental rights. I thought he had to get served or something. Anything would help thank you.
He does have to be served, but she may not have actually filed yet.

However, he can go down to the local courthouse and see if there is a file started, and see what is in the file.

mommatiffy

K. thank you. the whole thing is that she wants him to go to her house to go through things, to put everything down, but we are affraid of her going back through and changing things without him knowing it. Dosent he have to have a copy of it before things like that happen? :confused:

mistoffolees

K. thank you. the whole thing is that she wants him to go to her house to go through things, to put everything down, but we are affraid of her going back through and changing things without him knowing it. Dosent he have to have a copy of it before things like that happen? :confused:
I can see why you're confused. That doesn't make sense to me, either.

How about stating what you're talking about and what the question is with real nouns instead of 'things'?

LdiJ

A copy of WHAT? It doesn't sound like anything has been filed yet. Apparently she is asking him to sit down and try to work out an agreement. How can he have a copy of an agreement before they have sat down and tried to put one together?

He shouldn't sign any agreement unless he is going to walk away with a fully signed copy of his own...however sitting down and trying to come to an agreement is a perfectly normal/acceptable thing.

If y'all are so paranoid that you think he shouldn't be allowed to sit down with her and try to work things out, then maybe you should be helping him hire an attorney.

mommatiffy

k thanks everyone

Thank you everyone for your help. Sorry i wasnt able to communicate any better. with my "Things" i just dont know anything about divorce or any other legal matters. :D

mistoffolees

Thank you everyone for your help. Sorry i wasnt able to communicate any better. with my "Things" i just dont know anything about divorce or any other legal matters. :D
Then stay out of it - since it doesn't involve you, anyway. Have your SF retain an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">