• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Propert assigned to ex that belongs to neither

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ptw454

What is the name of your state? TX
I recently bought a boat from a friend and have a bill of sale with all id numbers. Well the friend has a son and ex daughter in law. The ex daughter in law has somehow had boat described in her decree that shee was to recieve it in the divorce. Well the boat never has belonged to either the husband or the ex wife. It is the husbands fathers and is registered in his name and the titles are in his name. He says it his and always been hsi and has no idea how it got mentioned in the decree. Well anyway she wants the boat back that I payed the father for and am transferring titiles with. The description in the decree is no where close and they have no serial numbers to any parts of boat motor or trailer in decree. only a breif wrong discription. The Sheriff say he has to pick up what is my boat now and she could get it even though it was never ther property and there is no serial numbers on the decree. Is this legit or is there noway they can decree a boat to the ex that was not hteirs to begin with?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? TX
I recently bought a boat from a friend and have a bill of sale with all id numbers. Well the friend has a son and ex daughter in law. The ex daughter in law has somehow had boat described in her decree that shee was to recieve it in the divorce. Well the boat never has belonged to either the husband or the ex wife. It is the husbands fathers and is registered in his name and the titles are in his name. He says it his and always been hsi and has no idea how it got mentioned in the decree. Well anyway she wants the boat back that I payed the father for and am transferring titiles with. The description in the decree is no where close and they have no serial numbers to any parts of boat motor or trailer in decree. only a breif wrong discription. The Sheriff say he has to pick up what is my boat now and she could get it even though it was never ther property and there is no serial numbers on the decree. Is this legit or is there noway they can decree a boat to the ex that was not hteirs to begin with?
You need an attorney....now...

nextwife

You need an attorney. A boat has a documentable chain of title, and she should have no right to seize property unrelated to the divorce. You have legal right to the property ,and she does not, as it never was owned by either divorcing party. Even if it was "granted" to her in the divorce, it was never subject to the decree to begin with. Start tracking the boat title records to protect your interest.

Last edited:

ptw454

i have already done the title search at the Parks and wildlife. Boat has been and still is titled to father in law for the last 6 years and has never been in either of their names or given to them. Do I let the officer pick the boat up or can i make them show proof of ownership ,which they have none except a descrition she had her attorney put in decree. The description is wrong on length, size , year model , the only thingh in decree is name of boat. The rest of description describes her exs other boat except the name of boat. Is there someithing I can do to keep this from dragging out. Sheriff says it will be confiscated a in a few weeks the juudge will her from both sides. I dont want to have to miss work when there is now way something that is not titled to them should be is the decree. I mean how can it even get in the decree anyway if they dont check to see who the owner is? thanks for all the help.

ptw

nextwife

You need an attorney to get an injunction to halt seizure. And heck, sue her for recovery of your attorney fees. She had no right making representations to the court that caused you financial hardship.

ptw454

Thanks for all the advice looks like I will call my lawyer. I am still baffled as to how they can put something in a divorce decree that they have no ownership over and the attorney and the judge okay it ? Anyway thanks and I just cant see anyway she get this boat but stranger things have happened.

PTW

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">