• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Properties that I transfer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lemon45

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl

My husband and me are filing for uncontested divorce. We are good friends but decided to get divorced for the sake of everyone involved. How long it takes to complete the divorce process once we file?

I am facing a civil lawsuit (this lawsuit has no relation with my divorce) that involves a large amount of money. All the properties currently we (my husband and me) have are under joint account/ownership. However, I wish to transfer all these properties to my husband because he agreed to take care of our children and also he has some health issues and he needs money. I can earn money as I have a business.

If we are divorced and then I lost the civil lawsuit then can the OC still take the properties (that I will transfer to my husband while divorcing) from my (former) husband or not? I prefer my former husband (and my children) enjoy those properties rather than me losing those properties to OC.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My husband and me are filing for uncontested divorce. We are good friends but decided to get divorced for the sake of everyone involved. How long it takes to complete the divorce process once we file?

I am facing a civil lawsuit (this lawsuit has no relation with my divorce) that involves a large amount of money. All the properties currently we (my husband and me) have are under joint account/ownership. However, I wish to transfer all these properties to my husband because he agreed to take care of our children and also he has some health issues and he needs money. I can earn money as I have a business.

If we are divorced and then I lost the civil lawsuit then can the OC still take the properties (that I will transfer to my husband while divorcing) from my (former) husband or not? I prefer my former husband (and my children) enjoy those properties rather than me losing those properties to OC.
Concealing your assets won't help protect them, and may actually be considered criminal.

lemon45

Thanks. I am not going to conceal the properties but legally transfer them to my husband and children as part of our divorce deal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thanks. I am not going to conceal the properties but legally transfer them to my husband and children as part of our divorce deal.
Right - look up fraudulent conveyance and fraudulent transfer. The creditors will almost definitely be able to lay claim to them, despite your efforts.

Just Blue

Get an attorney. What you are thinking/planning on doing is, to my knowledge, criminal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">