• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property after 'seperation' in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Peachgirl

What is the name of your state?My soon-to-be-ex (I hope!) and I were married in and both still live in NY. We have seperated amicably, and without filing a formal seperation agreement, as there was almost no property to be divided (we rented) and there are no custody issues. (He cannot have custody of our toddler son due to a conviction as a level 1 sex offender involving a minor). I have given him (informally) unlimited unsupervised visitation so far. The only property we owned - 2 older cars - was divided months ago, before we moved apart, when I signed my old (pre-marriage) truck over to him and kept the car-seat-friendly sedan in my name.

I moved into a rented home in August of 2004 without him when the lease on our old apartment ran out. My name is the only name on the new lease. I allowed him to use my address as his residence for probation purposes while he looked for his own place, although he only stayed there sporadically, and stayed with relatives elsewhere the rest of the time. He has since moved into his own apartment.

I developed a romantic relationship after I moved into my own house, and my boyfriend now lives with me and my son, as of January 1, 2005. My questions in all of this are:
1. Does his living here in any way jeopardize my custody?
2. Could my ex file for abandonment, since we both moved out simultaneously? What about adultery? (I cannot file for adultery against him as he did not plead to sleeping with the minor, only "sexual touching" - what about cruelty?)
3. He says he will sign any papers I bring but will not file his own becuase he now "sees what he lost' :rolleyes: How does this matter, if at all?
4. My boyfriend & I would like to buy a car together - can my ex demand anything I got after I moved into my own place? Does it matter that I let him stay here?
5. What is the easiest (read: cheapest) way to do this myself? I would like to get paperwork going because although we are very friendly, there are no guarantees we will remain so.. he is very upset that I am seeing someone else...
Thanks to anyone and everyone who has any advice!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">