• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property awarded in absentee divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IsabellaWalling

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My husband deserted me and did not show up for divorce proceedings. The court awarded me the house. I am trying to refinance, but the mortgage company says they need a clear title, which I don't have because he was not around to sign a Quit Claim. I have no idea where he is. How do I get clear title?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My husband deserted me and did not show up for divorce proceedings. The court awarded me the house. I am trying to refinance, but the mortgage company says they need a clear title, which I don't have because he was not around to sign a Quit Claim. I have no idea where he is. How do I get clear title?
Ask the bank if they will accept a COURT ORDER giving you title to the house? If they won't accept your divorce decree ask about the wording necessary.

Ozark_Sophist

Ask the bank if they will accept a COURT ORDER giving you title to the house? If they won't accept your divorce decree ask about the wording necessary.
I posted at the same time as you, but deleted when I saw yours. My thought was OP might need to file to quiet title. OP has no way of knowing if ex-husband is alive or was alive at time of divorce. His interest may have passed to heirs, etc.

Wouldn't a quiet title be the way for OP to obtain a court order awarding her the house?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I posted at the same time as you, but deleted when I saw yours. My thought was OP might need to file to quiet title. OP has no way of knowing if ex-husband is alive or was alive at time of divorce. His interest may have passed to heirs, etc.

Wouldn't a quiet title be the way for OP to obtain a court order awarding her the house?
It depends. And i say that because quiet title may take longer than reviewing her divorce decree and get a court order -- if her divorce decree acts as a transfer of title -- yes sometimes they do -- she may need nothing else except the court order. But I dont' know what hers says.

Quiet title would work though.

IsabellaWalling

I'm confused. Isn't my divorce decree a court order? I gave the mortgage company a copy of that, but they wanted a Deed filed with the County showing clear title. Can I just write up a Deed and submit it to the County with a copy of my divorce papers? The forms I have seen for both a Warranty Deed and a Deed in Trust indicate a sales transaction.

P.S. I know I put this under both Divorce and Real Estate. I didn't know which it pertained to most in regards to the law.

FlyingRon

Just showing the divorce paperwork to the mortgage company won't clear the title. You'd have to convince whoever certifies land records to take it as evidence of the court ordered transfer. Did you have a lawyer for this divorce? WHat does he say?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">