• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property and Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I am filing for a divorce from my wife. I owned the house since 1990 when in 1992 I was divorced from my first wife and retained ownership of the house. Does my second wife whom I married in 1998 have any ownership rights to the house? We are in a Chapter 13 case now in which I'm paying the debts on both sides, which I dont have a proiblem with that even after we are divorced. Her car is in both our names, which she can keep that to since it's included in the Chapter 13 case. My other question is that since it is in a chapter 13 case which I have 3 more years to pay on, am I legally held responsable for that car if she keeps it? Need to know these answers before I file. Thanks

justalayman

I owned the house since 1990 when in 1992 I was divorced from my first wife and retained ownership of the house. Does my second wife whom I married in 1998 have any ownership rights to the house?
yes, or at least a financial interest in it.

My other question is that since it is in a chapter 13 case which I have 3 more years to pay on, am I legally held responsable for that car if she keeps it? Need to know these answers before I file.
if the loan is in your name, yes. If it is in her name, no. If it is in both names, you are both equally liable for the debt. The divorce cannot alter the contract with the lender.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">