• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage after Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluesnowflake77

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My ex-husband and I have been divorced for about 2 1/2 years now. The divorce took place in Indiana but this incident took place in Michigan. About 6 months he saw my car sitting at bar having a few drinks with my friends. He then took a shovel and busted my car windshield in. I immediatly called the cops and filed a report. They filed charges against him. He was eventually picked up on a warrent. He had a court day to appear and never showed. About two days ago he was picked up again on some other warrents, and was put in jail. While in jail he was asked about who's property did he damage. He stated that it was his property. I proved to the cops that the car was mine, I showed him the divorce decree, that stated the car is mine. The vehicle is still both names. Because his name is still on the car, and he stated that the property he damages was his, he is now trying to tell me that they are going to file a false police report against me. Can they do this? How does a divorce decree really hold up.

I really need some advice on this.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bluesnowflake77 said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My ex-husband and I have been divorced for about 2 1/2 years now. The divorce took place in Indiana but this incident took place in Michigan. About 6 months he saw my car sitting at bar having a few drinks with my friends. He then took a shovel and busted my car windshield in. I immediatly called the cops and filed a report. They filed charges against him. He was eventually picked up on a warrent. He had a court day to appear and never showed. About two days ago he was picked up again on some other warrents, and was put in jail. While in jail he was asked about who's property did he damage. He stated that it was his property. I proved to the cops that the car was mine, I showed him the divorce decree, that stated the car is mine. The vehicle is still both names. Because his name is still on the car, and he stated that the property he damages was his, he is now trying to tell me that they are going to file a false police report against me. Can they do this? How does a divorce decree really hold up.

I really need some advice on this.

My response:

Since you failed to have the car re-registered in your name, alone, after the decree was signed, then as far as the State and County are concerned, the car was both his AND yours. So, he's correct.

IAAL

bluesnowflake77

So basically, because the loan is still in both our names, that he can get away with that. Then what is the point of having a divorce decree in the first place, if it's not going to hold up. I tried to get the loan in just my name but couldn't because of my credit being so messed up thanks to my ex. So what rights do women really have if they can depend on the legal system?

LdiJ

bluesnowflake77 said:
So basically, because the loan is still in both our names, that he can get away with that. Then what is the point of having a divorce decree in the first place, if it's not going to hold up. I tried to get the loan in just my name but couldn't because of my credit being so messed up thanks to my ex. So what rights do women really have if they can depend on the legal system?
Ok...despite the fact that the state and county recognizes the car to be the property of both of you....you certainly cannot have be arrested for making a false complaint. The divorce decree does award the car to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">