• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

littlemissy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
I have been divorced since 1998 and now remarried. In the divorce I got the house with the mortgage and my ex signed a quit claim deed to sign it over to me. In the divorce papers it says if I ever sell the house that he will get half the profit. It also says he is to pay child support which he hasn't paid in years. Do I have any legal grounds to withhold half of the profits from him?

littlemissyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OklahomaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. You have no grounds to withhold the profit. What you have is grounds to take him back for contempt for not paying child support and ask that his portion of the profits be awarded to you to cover his arrearages.

LdiJ

No. You have no grounds to withhold the profit. What you have is grounds to take him back for contempt for not paying child support and ask that his portion of the profits be awarded to you to cover his arrearages.
However, she can temporarily hold the profit, or ask that it be held in an escrow account by either her attorney or the title company, pending the judge's decision.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
I have been divorced since 1998 and now remarried. In the divorce I got the house with the mortgage and my ex signed a quit claim deed to sign it over to me. In the divorce papers it says if I ever sell the house that he will get half the profit. It also says he is to pay child support which he hasn't paid in years. Do I have any legal grounds to withhold half of the profits from him?

littlemissyWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OklahomaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No, you can't withhold the profits, but you can put them into escrow with your attorney until the matter is resolved.

However, you need to see your attorney about this anyway. Something doesn't sound right. You have been paying the mortgage for 10 years, yet he still gets half of the gain from the sale? It's possible that your agreement really works that way (particularly if you didn't have to give him any assets at the time to offset the home value), but that would be a fairly unusual agreement and you want to make sure you understand it, so get your attorney's opinion on exactly what you owe the ex.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">