• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property division question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

55classic

What is the name of your state? California
I have been to court the property debt of our vehicle we purchased in both our names has been ordered his responsibility. Prior to the marrige I had my own vehicle with a loan.He told me he traded it in on the new car. Now the loan company is calling me for the payment. He evidentially let someone he works with take over my payments. They may be giving him the money or not paying the bank as they agreed. He will not give me any information regarding who the people are with the vehicle. The vehicle is still in my name only. I am responsible for the loan. There is no insurance on the vehicle that I am aware of. The police will not help, they say it is civil. What do I do. I did not list the debt in my divorce because I didn't know it was a debt. I thought it was paid in the trade in. Are there forms I can fill out to add it after the fact? Can I get the judge to help? What should I do?
e He is really uncooperative. He is most likely keeping the money. He has not paid the paoyments on the new car either. The bank for that vehicle is hounding me to. He was ordered to pay child support I have not seen a dime of it. He was ordered to pay 1/2 day care it has not been paid either. I am really stressed.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? California
I have been to court the property debt of our vehicle we purchased in both our names has been ordered his responsibility. Prior to the marrige I had my own vehicle with a loan.He told me he traded it in on the new car. Now the loan company is calling me for the payment. He evidentially let someone he works with take over my payments. They may be giving him the money or not paying the bank as they agreed. He will not give me any information regarding who the people are with the vehicle. The vehicle is still in my name only. I am responsible for the loan. There is no insurance on the vehicle that I am aware of. The police will not help, they say it is civil. What do I do. I did not list the debt in my divorce because I didn't know it was a debt. I thought it was paid in the trade in. Are there forms I can fill out to add it after the fact? Can I get the judge to help? What should I do?
e He is really uncooperative. He is most likely keeping the money. He has not paid the paoyments on the new car either. The bank for that vehicle is hounding me to. He was ordered to pay child support I have not seen a dime of it. He was ordered to pay 1/2 day care it has not been paid either. I am really stressed.
You need to report the car stolen, without giving the police any more information than that. That won't get you off the hook with the loan company, but it may eventually get you the car back. (the one that is in your name only)

Bali Hai

You need to report the car stolen, without giving the police any more information than that. That won't get you off the hook with the loan company, but it may eventually get you the car back. (the one that is in your name only)

Your advice is to swear out a false police report?? She knows the car is not stolen and she was previously told by the police that it was a civil matter.

I'm very surprised at you Mom.

LdiJ

Your advice is to swear out a false police report?? She knows the car is not stolen and she was previously told by the police that it was a civil matter.

I'm very surprised at you Mom.
Bull....the car most certainly IS stolen. She was falsely told that the car had been traded in, and it was not. On top of that, its being driven on stolen plates as well, because the person who is driving it can't get plates for it without a title....and that person certainly doesn't have a title.

The person who has it may be able to take legal action against her ex....but the car is definitely stolen, and the person who is driving it is driving it illegally, on stolen plates.

Bali Hai

Bull....the car most certainly IS stolen. She was falsely told that the car had been traded in, and it was not.

That's HER story. How could her husband trade in a car that is in her name only??

On top of that, its being driven on stolen plates as well, because the person who is driving it can't get plates for it without a title....and that person certainly doesn't have a title.

The person who has it may be able to take legal action against her ex....but the car is definitely stolen, and the person who is driving it is driving it illegally, on stolen plates.
That's quite a stretch. I think she needs to go back to court to clear this up. Reporting the car stolen when in fact it is not, will only muddy up things even more than they are now.

In the meantime, she needs to make those car payments.

LdiJ

That's quite a stretch. I think she needs to go back to court to clear this up. Reporting the car stolen when in fact it is not, will only muddy up things even more than they are now.

In the meantime, she needs to make those car payments.
Its not a stretch at all. You need a title to get plates. Obviously the car is not being driven without plates. Therefore obviously its being driven on HER plates. The person obviously does not have the title because there is a car loan outstanding, therefore the loan company has the title.

What's more, she is liable if the person has an accident. The car is still in her name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">