• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newbie100

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I've been married 3 1/2 years. In this Time, We saved a good amount of money to buy a house this year. We put down 20%.. and Also bought a car in the same year which is fully paid off. We also spent a good bit of money on decorating & furnishing the house. My wife's mom bought most of the furniture in the house. Bed, bedroom suite, couch, chair, tables, etc. We are getting a divorce and i wanted to know is the furniture her mom bought community property or separate property?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I've been married 3 1/2 years. In this Time, We saved a good amount of money to buy a house this year. We put down 20%.. and Also bought a car in the same year which is fully paid off. We also spent a good bit of money on decorating & furnishing the house. My wife's mom bought most of the furniture in the house. Bed, bedroom suite, couch, chair, tables, etc. We are getting a divorce and i wanted to know is the furniture her mom bought community property or separate property?
I can bet you with almost 100% accuracy that her mother will consider that furniture to be a gift to her, and NOT community property. Just as your mother would have considered it to be a gift to you, if the roles were reversed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">