• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property in separation/divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

obxgirl72

What is the name of your state?IN
My husband and I have agreed to separate. The only thing we have purchased together is a house. He carries the mortgage and the deed has only his name on it. The house was purchased a few months before we got married as a great investment. We purchased the house for about half of what it appraises. His parents gave us money as a down payment and mort. fees (around $3,500). My concern is that when we go to court, his parents are going to get involved and I am going to get nothing. We have been married for four years and have a six month old daughter. When we had our child I went down to working part-time so we would spend less on daycare. I take care of all the bills relating to our daughter. He says he will not get his parents involved but I can't really trust the lying, cheating jerk.

What are my rights to the property?

The plot thickens...My husband was recently in an at-fault accident and he did not have insurance. I have insurance but he does not. He says he is going to make payment arrangements with the insurance companies to cover the expenses of the other drivers. Where is my liability in that? I am completely scared that I am going to lose everything over his stupidity. If we get legally separated, and the insurance companies sue him, can they garnish my wages? If something crazy happens and he files for bankruptcy, will that affect my credit? What happens with the house under that circumstance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">