• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property settlement agreement reversal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crudsbigsis

What is the name of your state? virginia My husband and i signed a property settlement agreement but i feel as if i was bullied into signing what he wanted because i could not afford a lawyer to fight him. I live in Virginia which is a state that believes all marital assets be divided 50/50 but i was told by my husband that his lawyer said i was not entitled to that and that they would fight me unless we could come to some other agreement. I didn't have the money for a lawyer and I needed to find a place to live and needed money to do so, so i signed the agreement basically giving him our $400,000.00 house and only receiving $13,000.00 to get me on my feet. I'm now struggling to pay my bills while he has the house w/two people living there giving him extra cash and feel i was cheated due to the fact that he knew i couldn't fight him. I was just wondering if there's anyway to possibly get the settlement agreement voided and create a new one and get him to buy me out? Thanks for your help.

crudsbigsis said:
What is the name of your state? virginia My husband and i signed a property settlement agreement but i feel as if i was bullied into signing what he wanted because i could not afford a lawyer to fight him. I live in Virginia which is a state that believes all marital assets be divided 50/50 but i was told by my husband that his lawyer said i was not entitled to that and that they would fight me unless we could come to some other agreement. I didn't have the money for a lawyer and I needed to find a place to live and needed money to do so, so i signed the agreement basically giving him our $400,000.00 house and only receiving $13,000.00 to get me on my feet. I'm now struggling to pay my bills while he has the house w/two people living there giving him extra cash and feel i was cheated due to the fact that he knew i couldn't fight him. I was just wondering if there's anyway to possibly get the settlement agreement voided and create a new one and get him to buy me out? Thanks for your help.

Call the cops!!!

Have that person arrested for holding a gun to your head, forcing you to sign!!

IAAL

P.S. No, deary, Virginia is an "equitable distribution" State, not a Community Property State. So, there's no guarantee you would have faired any better.

HomeGuru

crudsbigsis said:

**A: it's too late.

LdiJ

crudsbigsis said:
Is the divorce final yet? If not, then consult a local attorney ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">