• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property settlement and alimony agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spring

What is the name of your state? NE
I'm in a divorce process. It suppoused to be a simple divorce. I told to my husband and his lawyer that I will not list any demands of asset allocation if I will get an expedited divorce (I'm not american citizen and I just want to get divorce and come back to my country). I got Complaint (from my husband's lawyer) and singned a Voluntary Appearance. Now (after 4 mounth) I reseive a letter from his lawyer with Notice of Hearing (he says it will not be necessary for me to be present at the hearing). Also he asks me to sign Property Settlement and Alimony Agreement. Is it nessesary for me to sign this if I want a simple divorce? Will Judge sign a Discree if he will have just a Voluntary Appearance (signed by me)?

LdiJ

spring said:
What is the name of your state? NE
I'm in a divorce process. It suppoused to be a simple divorce. I told to my husband and his lawyer that I will not list any demands of asset allocation if I will get an expedited divorce (I'm not american citizen and I just want to get divorce and come back to my country). I got Complaint (from my husband's lawyer) and singned a Voluntary Appearance. Now (after 4 mounth) I reseive a letter from his lawyer with Notice of Hearing (he says it will not be necessary for me to be present at the hearing). Also he asks me to sign Property Settlement and Alimony Agreement. Is it nessesary for me to sign this if I want a simple divorce? Will Judge sign a Discree if he will have just a Voluntary Appearance (signed by me)?
Yes, you have to sign an agreement in order to get a simple divorce. However, it would be best to at least have an attorney review that agreement before signing it.

The "alimony agreement" makes me nervous. Make sure that you are not agreeing to pay alimony to your husband....or agreeing to share any property that you may have in your country with your husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">