• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property settlement owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sox2106

My divorce judgement in CA is dated 2001. I was awarded both monthly child support and a lump property settlement fee. The child support payments have been enforced (spotty payments) throught the DA's services and are going to finally be paid off this year thanks to a large IRS intercept. What recourse do I have to start collecting on the property settlement? Is it too late to seek compensation? I never attempted before because I figured if the state couldnt even get him to pay the child support regularly, I was not going to have luck getting the property settlement portion paid.
Note: I did pay off all the debts from the marriage in full for which he was to pay be his share directly.

LdiJ

My divorce judgement in CA is dated 2001. I was awarded both monthly child support and a lump property settlement fee. The child support payments have been enforced (spotty payments) throught the DA's services and are going to finally be paid off this year thanks to a large IRS intercept. What recourse do I have to start collecting on the property settlement? Is it too late to seek compensation? I never attempted before because I figured if the state couldnt even get him to pay the child support regularly, I was not going to have luck getting the property settlement portion paid.
Note: I did pay off all the debts from the marriage in full for which he was to pay be his share directly.
I am sorry but it may be impossible at this point. You should have gotten a judgment against him years ago. The normal course of action would have been to file for contempt against him as soon as he did not pay the property settlement, and then hoped for a judgment. You can attempt to do that now, and if he doesn't hire an attorney you might prevail, but if he does expect him to use "laches" as a defense. Google "laches" to understand what that means.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">