• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property split after separation- question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drtino

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ.

I am thinking about buying a house and right about now I am dating this person for the past two months, although she knows what's going on, she loves the idea of us having a property...even though, I am putting the down payment for the house - I am not sure for how long this type of relationship will last... so, what type of consideration I should have if for some reason it doesn't work out??

I read a story that this guy's girlfriend convinced him (almost similar situation) to put her name in his deed after he bought the house with his own money and later they split up after 1 year and 1/2, then she moved to a different state and then she wanted $30,000 to get her name out of the deed... later she replied that she wanted to sell the house and split the earnings... Can someone direct me in the right path? Thanks.

LdiJ

I am thinking about buying a house and right about now I am dating this person for the past two months, although she knows what's going on, she loves the idea of us having a property...even though, I am putting the down payment for the house - I am not sure for how long this type of relationship will last... so, what type of consideration I should have if for some reason it doesn't work out??

I read a story that this guy's girlfriend convinced him (almost similar situation) to put her name in his deed after he bought the house with his own money and later they split up after 1 year and 1/2, then she moved to a different state and then she wanted $30,000 to get her name out of the deed... later she replied that she wanted to sell the house and split the earnings... Can someone direct me in the right path? Thanks.
If she is not a co owner of the house (not on the deed or mortgage) then there is nothing to worry about.

If she is on the deed or mortgage, then you will have complications if you break up.

Its that simple.

Don't include her on the deed or mortgage, and don't use any of her money on the home.

mistoffolees

For starters, buying a house with a GF is risky from the start-especially if you're already concerned that the relationship won't last. If you really want to do it, follow Ldij's advice.

In addition, don't act like you're buying it with her. You're buying it for yourself and you're letting her stay there. That won't change the LEGAL status, but it may change the way she sees it and avoid some headaches later (may even be enough to stop her from suing in the first place).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">