• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting assets / pre divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

How does one go about freezing your assets?
I need to make sure my wife doesn't take the money and run. I have already reduced our credit card limit and placed half our savings in a new account under my name only. I have a couple of other worries though. She has a debit card tied to our savings and checking accounts, and she has a credit card in her name only. I am thinking of opening a new checking account under just my name to keep up with the monthly bills. Will I be held accountable for any debts she runs up with her personal credit card?
We have not yet filed any divorce or seperation papers, is that something that must be done to seperate us financially?

Thank you for any help.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

How does one go about freezing your assets?
I need to make sure my wife doesn't take the money and run. I have already reduced our credit card limit and placed half our savings in a new account under my name only. I have a couple of other worries though. She has a debit card tied to our savings and checking accounts, and she has a credit card in her name only. I am thinking of opening a new checking account under just my name to keep up with the monthly bills. Will I be held accountable for any debts she runs up with her personal credit card?
We have not yet filed any divorce or seperation papers, is that something that must be done to seperate us financially?

Thank you for any help.
She's free to spend whatever she wants as long as no divorce has been filed. Once you file for divorce or legal separation, then you can have her barred from depleting your savings (in some states, it's automatic).

Do I need a lawyer to file separation papers or can I do that on my own? Is there a document available on line?
What does it mean to be legally separated?

Thanks

LdiJ

Do I need a lawyer to file separation papers or can I do that on my own? Is there a document available on line?
What does it mean to be legally separated?

Thanks
Its all part of filing for divorce.

Also, its forum ettiquette to keep all of your questions on one thread. Please don't start a new thread for new questions, just ask your new questions on your original thread.

Sorry LdiJ for the new post, I thought the question of how to find an attorny was a different enough subject that I would get a better response if I started a new post.

Can you please define to me what legal separation means?

Do I need an attorny to draw up and file the papers?

Thanks, Don

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Sorry LdiJ for the new post, I thought the question of how to find an attorny was a different enough subject that I would get a better response if I started a new post.

Can you please define to me what legal separation means?

Do I need an attorny to draw up and file the papers?

Thanks, Don
Legal separation in Ohio requires the same paperwork that divorce does as well as the same process. The only difference is at the end you still remain married. What you want to do is file a divorce and get a restraining order prohibiting wifey from spending everything. Some counties automatically issue them. What county in Ohio are you in?

Ohiogal, thanks for the resonse. I am in Medina county. Can i file for divorce myself by going to the court house or do I need an attorney to do it?
Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">