• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting Finances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Alienmembr

What is the name of your state? Alabama

I have a problem with my future ex's credit card usage. She has told others that when I file for divorce. She intends to try to run up as much on credit as she can before filing for bankruptcy. There are only two accounts with both of our names on them. We have already separated bank accounts and she has been paying the accounts (her bills) with both names from her bank account. She is still living in the guest bedroom and is paying half the mortgage and utilities (with checks). I have been working at getting things ready. What would be the easiest way to protect me from further liability before I leave or file for divorce? I haven't talked to an attorney as of yet. I am trying to have the right questions to ask ready for the attorney.

M

manda2020

Maybe you should think of closing the credit card accounts or having one of the names removed off it. Just a suggestion.

C

cyana

Unfortunately...

manda2020 said:
Maybe you should think of closing the credit card accounts or having one of the names removed off it. Just a suggestion.
... that's often easier said than done. Most CCs will not take a joint card holders name off the bill unless there's a zero balance on the card. My ex was an AU on one of my credit cards (btw- I didn't even know I "had" this card.) He continued to use it even after we separated. I called the CC company three times to try to end his use of this card; wrote two letters. Finally, the CC company closed this account on my request. He used it again. I wrote another letter blasting the cc company. A few weeks later they changed the acct number so "his" card would no longer to recognized.

Keep in mind that if she files bk you will still be responsible for any joint debt - unless you can prove fraud ... that she intentially drove up any joint credit debt and then declared bk. Or you can approach from the divorce angle and claim she dissapated the marital assets (joint cash, even if she only used her cc's) for her pre-divorce credit buying spree.

A

Alienmembr

You are correct they will not close the account unless the full amount is paid. They will not remove my name either. I am going to pay off one of them as it is less than $200.00. The other however is a few thousand. I don't have that to waste. Would a legal separation be quicker and protect me faster?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">