• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

protecting inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wenbee

What is the name of your state? new york
what is considered inhertance? I know any property gained by inheritance is protected from marital property/ My parents died but did not leave a will, but the property from what i understand gets passed to myself and 2 siblings. Is this property protected from my soon to be EX spouse...

Last edited:

nextwife

If you are certain to NOT comingle it with marital funds/assets. If it is money or stock, keep it totally seperate and apart from marital savings. I even keep mine with a different brokerage firm so that it is very clear that all my, say, Fidelity, or Wells Fargo funds are and always have been non-marital. Money earned, saved DURING the marriage goes elsewhere.

justalayman

sign a pre-nup if you don;t want to share with your soon to be wife and the way you talk, your not too long away ex-wife.

nextwife

sign a pre-nup if you don;t want to share with your soon to be wife and the way you talk, your not too long away ex-wife.
Why do you presume the poster is male? Females also want to protect their premarital assets. My hubby WANTED me to draft a prenup to protect my assets. Nothing wrong with that. We're now married almost 12 years, and as he's retiring next year, it looks like we are on our way to growing old together.

justalayman

Why do you presume the poster is male? Females also want to protect their premarital assets. My hubby WANTED me to draft a prenup to protect my assets. Nothing wrong with that. We're now married almost 12 years, and as he's retiring next year, it looks like we are on our way to growing old together.
Uh, cuz I'm psycho... I mean psychic?

just a bias I apparently have. No real intent.

I don;t actually have a problem with protecting assets. For some reason the manner of the writing struck me odd. Just that psycho...no, not psycho, psychic thing I have.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">