• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting my assests

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melrorer

What is the name of your state? SC

When I married my husband 6 years ago, I had signed a pre-nup, which we lived in VA at the time. His mother had died a year ago, so his parents house that was completely paid for was sold. His father (who is now living in an assitant live home) and him had bought a house in SC and paid the home in full, so there is no mortgage. We are currently selling our home in VA and when the house is sold, we will not have any mortgage. We have made improvements to the home in SC and each of us had paid half. He recently had given me a bill to pay half of the property taxes. My question is in the event of divorce could I recover what money I put in? He has told me that the pre-nup no longer applies, since we both have a kid each, he had to do the pre-nup, not knowing how things would work out between us (he has been financially burned by his ex) He has other homes in his name only and has told me that in the event of his death, this home will go to me, but since my name is not on the deed and I'm putting money into the home, what rights do I have in case there is a divorce later on. Not that we are wanting a divorce, we have the type of marriage where we have separate finances, separate bank accounts etc...which is ok for both of us. So any advise would be appreciated. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">