• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting my separate assets in case of divorce??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kay123

What is the name of your state? Mass

I am getting married in 5 months. I have separate accounts with money in them along with the knowledge that I will be receiving a good-sizer inheritance in the future. What is the best way to make sure that these assets (and my future separate assets) stay separate in case of a divorce?

Also, I have read that my parents should make sure that any property, accounts, etc. that have my name and their names as co-owners (on the property, etc.) should somehow be protected in case I get divorced in the future. I heard that my ex-spouse could try to go after my portion of the estate, property, etc. An example of this is that I am a co-owner of a house with both of my parents as of right now, and all three of us are on the title. My parents want to make sure that my husband wouldn't be able to try and take my third away and force them out. What is the typical way this should be handled so my parents and myself will be protected?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">