• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting savings prior to divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nana1313

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

After 4 years of multiple infidelity and over 15 of irresponsible spending I decided to call it quits and will be getting a divorce from my husband.

In Oct 2008 he had left, and we did an informal agreement with a mediator and he kept his debt and I kept mine, we never had joint debt accounts. no assets other than our cars and his bike. We have 401k's

Unfortunatelly, in Aug 2009 he found his way back home and I allowed it.

Since he left the first time I worked very hard to recover myself financially. Today, besides the car payment, I have paid all my debt. Even though he came back, we kept finances separatedly. Thanks God!

I decided this is over last wednesdayn when I found evidence of a continued affair, he left the house and he now takes our 2 yr old son on Sundays as requested by me. The marriage is over.

Now that most of my "bad" debt is done, I want to build and emergency fund, but I really dont want him to take half of that when I file (or if he files). It will be around $800-$1000/mo

How can I protect my saved money?
If it is an agreement that I need, what should the agreement say? something like "All monies deposited in account X are the wife's only"???

Thank you in advance for your help.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

After 4 years of multiple infidelity and over 15 of irresponsible spending I decided to call it quits and will be getting a divorce from my husband.

In Oct 2008 he had left, and we did an informal agreement with a mediator and he kept his debt and I kept mine, we never had joint debt accounts. no assets other than our cars and his bike. We have 401k's

Unfortunatelly, in Aug 2009 he found his way back home and I allowed it.

Since he left the first time I worked very hard to recover myself financially. Today, besides the car payment, I have paid all my debt. Even though he came back, we kept finances separatedly. Thanks God!

I decided this is over last wednesdayn when I found evidence of a continued affair, he left the house and he now takes our 2 yr old son on Sundays as requested by me. The marriage is over.

Now that most of my "bad" debt is done, I want to build and emergency fund, but I really dont want him to take half of that when I file (or if he files). It will be around $800-$1000/mo

How can I protect my saved money?
If it is an agreement that I need, what should the agreement say? something like "All monies deposited in account X are the wife's only"???

Thank you in advance for your help.
If you want to keep your future savings separate, then you need to file for divorce immediately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">